eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Wednesday, September 3

News is boring or upsetting or interesting

I remember now one of the reasons I've been avoiding news. Here's my summary of a typical day of news: someone appearing in court or facing sentencing or being cleared of charges, people dying or being memorialized, Congress debating some issue and trying to decide between two or more stupid choices, a politician travels somewhere, something going on at the U.N. It used to be that I would read or watch the different issues and react to them meaningfully with shock, horror, outrage, and I suppose on occasion with relief or joy. Eventually my reactions have all become a sort of dull resignation.

Now that I've taken a break from the news, though, I do feel a certain curiousity about the current state of things. Candidates for presidency are starting to make announcements. It seems like it wasn't very long ago that I was wondering if I should brave the rain to find out if Bush won the election. Like him or not, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to witness the victory speech of a new President.

I'm curious to get a look at the stock market and economic news. The bit about celebrities being asked to sign a Scientology "Contract" looked interesting with the implications it might have for other cults or religions.

No comments: