eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Tuesday, November 25

Elliot seems to think it's important to stand up for one's values publicly. I'm skeptical about this - that it's anyone's business what my views are unless I want to share them. As I see it, my goal is to get my ideas straight in my own mind and that might be undermined if I were to open myself up to attacks from people. My idea is that I gain knowledge better and faster by challenging my ideas and growing them in areas that interest me or that are relevant to me.

Of course, it is good to encourage others to get better ideas, but I'm more interested in doing this on a one-on-one basis. My experiences with sharing my views with mass numbers of people have not been positive ones. It is too tempting for me to keep defending my original idea (even after I think it's wrong) in that sort of adverserial situation. Perhaps some people don't have that difficulty... I'm not so fortunate yet.

I don't think I have many readers here, though, so I don't mind posting and experimenting with the idea of being more public about my views.


1) jews are people
2) some jews are good people
3) anti-semites hate all jews
4) anti-semites hate some good people
5) hating good people is bad
6) anti-semitism is bad
7) lots of jew haters try to murder jews, and other jew haters defend the murderous ones
8) murder is bad
9) defending badness is bad
....
10) some people use moral relativism to avoid defending the jews.
11) such people are bad

something's missing, namely:

"not defending good people is bad"

There's probably more that is missing, but it's that one which I have some difficulty with. It sounds good, right, but I've got some questions about it.

Which people are good?
Which people should one defend first?
What level of importance should be attached to this declaration?
Is this moral obligation something that includes very public verbal defense of good people?
Does it require risking one's life? One's privacy?
Is there a time factor? Should one spend an hour a day? Two? Eight?
Should it come before providing time, attention and/or help to one's children? One's spouse or close friends?
Oneself?

No comments: