eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Thursday, February 12

Morality
I'm probably getting in over my head here, but I don't see any way around it.

For the last several years (until very recently), I've held to a self-interest based morality. It came about at about the same time I rejected religion and began looking for better explanations about morality.

It seemed obvious that it wouldn't be best for people to go around killing each other randomly for survival. Cooperating and trading seemed a much better alternative for most or all people. However, I couldn't really see a reason why a particular individual should refrain from initiating force against others if he could do so without retribution. I didn't like this idea of morality, but I couldn't find a rational or logical problem with it.

No comments: