eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Tuesday, July 20

The best state

I've been thinking a lot about choices I need to make in my life and some of them are pretty hard. It might seem like one alternative or another is better, but none seem sufficiently better to make me feel strongly convinced about acting on them.

It occurred to me that making choices in this way reminds me a bit of "states" in logic circuits. It's been a while since I've thought about such things, so I might have my terminology wrong. The thing is, a computer is limited by certain factors - a set of choices where each choice consists of two options - one or zero. On or Off. There is a definite and known or at least knowable set of alternatives. Real life, though, isn't limited to zeros and ones. There is always the possibility of yet another alternative being created - one that solves the problem even better.

Should one continue looking for such alternatives for a certain amount of time before choosing (putting off choosing is an alternative in itself)... or whether it's better to go with some "active" best option while continuing to try to create even better alternatives? It could be that moving in any direction will change the "state" of things sufficiently that other alternatives would be more readily available. Then again, certain directions might be generally preferable - better for helping one generate better and more preferable solutions. Is it generally preferable to change directions? (vs. generally staying in one state until another becomes very clearly preferable) Is this even a useful way to think about solving problems?

No comments: