eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Friday, November 19

Cards, Yu-gi-oh, and Dvorak

First, there's Yu-gi-oh. It actually came after Pokemon as far as I know, but I don't feel like talking about Pokemon. There are literally hundreds of different Yu-gi-oh cards that a player can choose to use. Basically, though, there are 3 main types - monster, magic, and trap cards. Monsters have what equate to "hit points" for offense and defense and can also have special properties. Each player starts with 8000 Life Points and points are deducted and added to it during battles between monsters or by special properties of magic, trap, or monster cards. The object is to either make your opponent run out of cards or points or to draw all 5 cards of Exodia (somewhat rare, so this is likely the most expensive approach). Anyways, it's a fairly complicated and interesting game. Amazingly, 6 and sometimes 5 and 4 year olds manage to learn to play it. Since they can't read very well yet, they do this by memorizing hundreds of cards and what they do and a bit of help with the math. (And some just learn to read and do the math themselves). Anyways, it used to be quite common to see a large group of kids playing with them at the park.

One day, after the Yu-gi-oh craze had died down quite a bit, I noticed the kids playing a new game. They took pieces of paper and drew pictures and numbers on them and made up their own card games. I joined in one and found it very entertaining - and a bit confusing. The abilities of the monsters weren't apparent. The child would explain whatever abilities or magical properties a card had. Sometimes he'd forget and sometimes he'd encourage me to make up an ability. I wasn't very good at it, but he seemed satisfied with my attempts and we had a great time with it.

I was thinking Dvorak was something like this. A very nice person I know showed it to me. I didn't look at it too closely at first because it reminded me of playing that child-created game and I assumed it was something like that with some premade rules. It seems, instead, to be a sort of online card game that allows the players to make up themes but provides a basic structure and rules. I'll look at it more later, but I wanted to bookmark it here for the time being.

BTW, in my excitement at being reminded of the made up card game, I hunted down a place where you could get genuine blank playing cards. There were actually lots of places. It never occurred to me that such a thing existed. Apparently other people are way ahead of me on this one.

No comments: