eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Thursday, December 16

Occam's Toothbrush

When I found the telegraph article, I also ran across Occam's Toothbrush. *smile* I love the title.

I'm a fan of Occam's Razor. Roughly, it's the idea that if you have two theories about the truth and you aren't sure which is right, the simpler one is better. There are complicated arguments for it that I don't remember right off. I think it can be misleading, though, because sometimes the truth is complex. Then again, it might be easier to knock out simpler false ideas if they're wrong.

A toothbrush, though, reminds me of something else. I love digging through ideas to find the core ones that are essential and true. It brings to mind this image of a giant toothbrush scrubbing away the grime and uncovering the truth, err tooth. *self amused giggle* (Did I mention I love puns? Even almost puns?)

No comments: