eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Tuesday, December 7

Privacy International, I'm home

Privacy International(PI) is a human rights group formed in 1990 as a watchdog on surveillance and privacy invasions by governments and corporations. PI is based in London, England, and has an office in Washington, D.C. PI has conducted campaigns and research throughout the world on issues ranging from wiretapping and national security, to ID cards, video surveillance, data matching, police information systems, medical privacy, and freedom of information and expression.

A fellow at a pub in Frome (Somerset, England) mentioned an organization that was opposing the national ID cards in England. (I just had to throw that bit about the pub in because it seems so cool and exotic and I don't recall seeing a pub like that here in Austin). It seems that the organization is for protecting privacy in general.

I was trying to find some way to make this related to my being back home. Then I remembered my little blunder at the airport in the UK. I set off the metal detector thing. The security guard said not to worry, asked me to hold my arms out, and proceeded to pat me down. As she was patting me down, I realized I had forgot to empty my pockets. She noticed but didn't seem bothered about it. Later, I realized it was probably the little zipper thing on my change purse. Anyways, I'm not sure what to think of that violation of privacy. Maybe the site will have some useful ideas about it.

No comments: