eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Monday, July 11

Well Asked Questions

This, from a biography of Richard Feynman (one of my favorite Physicists).

"He never taught facts so much as questions. He encouraged young Richard to identify not what he knew, but rather what he did not know. This is the essence of Richard Feynman's style of understanding. By absolutely asking what his ignorance consisted of, he freed himself from the tyranny of conventional wisdom. He learned that it's entirely possible, and even likely, for a person to live not knowing the answers to important questions. What's most important for knowledge is the well asked question. The answers will wait patiently for their discovery."

I was browsing around about Feynman because someone listed the Lectures on Physics course for a decent price, and I'm very tempted to buy it. I don't have a particular interest in the subject itself right now. I used to want to be a nuclear physicist, but that's another story... I very much enjoyed his autobiographies, so now I'm wondering if his Physics course is as enjoyable to read.

2 comments:

MC said...

I stumbled across your blog, and became quite intrugued when you mentioned an interest in the Feynman Lectures on Physics. I do own a copy of said book, and it is a fantastic read.

I apologize if I come across a bit blunt, as I have little idea on your educational background. I'm afraid if you don't have a great deal of education in mathematics, especially with respect to vectors, and calculus, you will get very little out of the Feynman Lectures, as they rely very heavily on formulae.

I am glad you hold Richard Feynman in such high regard. He is one of the greatest Physicists of the 20th Century.

Becky said...

I appreciate the advice. The woman I bought it from said something similar. It's been about 10 years, but I managed to get through college Calculus (including some Vector stuff), Differential Equations, and Engineering Physics. I'm assuming I'm going to have to do some reviewing to understand it.