eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Thursday, August 18

Does it really matter?

Why would anyone care what I or most people think of the situation in Isreal or, for that matter, politics in general? Why should I care?

I might have ideas about what would be best to have happen. They're not very well informed and even if I got pretty well informed, it still wouldn't likely be as good as the information that the President or intelligence people have.

I could work ideas along the lines of "If the facts are this, then that should happen". Even if they were good and true ideas, what are the chances that anyone in a position to make choices based on them would even ever hear them? If I never speak of them to anyone, then there's still a chance because someone else might have a similar idea. How much is the chance increased if I tell someone and they tell a few people who never really pass the idea along? None. What if 1000 people knew of my idea (and never passed it along)? That would be a 1000 in 6 billion chance. Maybe it'd actually be a much better chance than that since I have some reasonable chance of meeting the President or at least a local representative. At the least, I could write to them. This still wouldn't mean the idea would be accepted by the person in a position to make such a choice or that he'd have enough popular support to feel comfortable affecting law in that way.

I suppose it comes down to hope and the effect of a choice multiplied over many people. If lots of people thought about and discussed policy and philosophy and tried to be well informed about it, it would greatly increase the chances of good ideas being created and acted on. I sense this isn't actually logically correct, but I have work to do now...

1 comment:

MC said...

I am still conducting research before I attempt to address the Israel situation in my weblog. I simply haven't had the time to read the history of the Isreal / Palestine conflict that you recommended.

Why should you care what other people think about your opinions on the matter? Because I believe that us, as individuals have the power to be heard and make a positive difference in world affiars. If we left politics to someone else, then it would be the ignorant, the bullies, the brash, the conceited, and the warlike who would be running the show -- and that scares me.

I care about what you think about the situation because we all have opinions. We all have beliefs, morals, and opinions, which may be different, but might allow me (the reader) to see the problem in a different light. Intelligence should be measured by the number of sides a person can view a problem.

A part of the reason why I started my weblog is that I felt powerless. I have seen the writings of famous bloggers open the eyes of readers, making them more passionate about the atrocities this world endures on a daily basis. In the developed world, this influences the opinions of voters and consumers, which can have an impact on politics and economics.

A friend once told me that he felt that the path to Heaven was through your efforts on this Earth while you were alive -- that you were admitted if you left the world in a better state than the wone you were given at birth. Heaven in this case can be arbitrary; it can be replaced with happiness, fulfilment, or accomplishment -- which can all be achieved if you do your part. It can be as simple as recycling, or working for an environmental company (like I do); it can happen if you join poitical action committees, volunteer for charities, or even writing in a blog where strangers and friends can read what's on your mind.

I can relate to feeling powerless or hopeless. I feel this way more often than not. I have just had to forget the odds that my writing would never be read. I felt that being ignorant was worse than trying. I believe, I care, and I am willing to fight for a more peaceful, healthy, tolerant world. I may not be able to single-handledly change the world, but I hope I could be part of a movement.