eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Wednesday, August 31

Holt - Learning all the Time, Dangerous Minds

MC said...
-----cut----
The bottom line is, that if they are motivated, children will learn on their own. I would highly, highly recommend the book "Learning All The Time" by John Holt. It is an incredible account of an educator who observed how children learn how to read, write, etc., without being taught. The book was required reading when I was a Freshman in the Faculty of Education, and it still inspires me to this day.
---cut-----
Check John Holt out. You will laugh and cry, and you will fall in love with Holt and his students. When you're done, then I suggest you read Louanne Johnson's: "My Posse Don't Do Homework". Which in 1995, was re-titled "Dangerous Minds", and adapted into a Hollywood motion picture. Here again, is a true-to-life account of a teacher who changed the lives of a classroom of inner-city delinquents.

I guess this has little to do with the subject at hand, except that you will be inspired. Within the pages of these two books is proof that the world can be made a better place, if you care enough.

12:41 AM


I'm kicking myself a little now because I sold off most of my John Holt collection when I was expecting to move. Now I am expecting to stay, but most of my huge book collection is gone.

All I could find was a beat up old copy of "How Children Fail" from 1964 that I probably bought at Half-Price Books long ago. It seemed important to keep at least one Holt book.

I bought and read or skimmed quite a lot of books early on when I was first homeschooling. I don't think I read the Holt books very closely because they didn't seem to have in the way of ideas that I hadn't already read online.

I'm curious to go back and read them and see what it is you've found inspiring. His work has been a large contributor to the homeschooling movement.

I've heard of the other book, too, although I don't think I've owned it. I think I should start posting a bit about the books I've enjoyed over the years. Unfortunately, I have a terrible memory for details about them. I just remember liking or not liking them and that I learned "something" from each of them.

Just to offer something, I'll list a few that I liked. (I'm not necessarily in agreement with everything they say and disagree with imposing structure in the way some of them do, but they helped me to understand more about learning):

Marva Collins' Way and Ordinary Children, Extraordinary Teachers by Marva Collins
Reading Reflex and How to Increase Your Child's Verbal Intelligence: The Groundbreaking Language Wise Method by Carmen and Geoffrey McGuinness
The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise.
The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education (Paperback) by Grace Llewellyn

2 comments:

MC said...

If you were wondering, I found a number of John Holt books on Amazon, and they were competitively priced.

Interesting list of enducational reading material. Some of them sound like enlightening reads... Others (the teenage liberation handbook for example) sound like they could be facetious in nature.

Is it blatantly serious?

Becky said...

The book is quite serious. It includes tips on how to win your parents over to the idea of you (the teen) directing your own education, different ways of learning, and ways of documenting your learning.