eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Monday, August 15

News - AIDS Cure Possible, Study Suggests

I'm amazed. I was pretty curious about AIDS when it first started making it in the news. I remember reading at first about how it wasn't even clear what "caused" it. Some argued that HIV was more common in people than AIDS and might not be the actual cause. I remember reading about a promising combination of a drug with high doses of vitamins, and about a patient who was happy about having allergies while in Austin. An allergic reaction was a sign that his immune system was functioning somewhat again. I haven't kept up with it much in more recent years. It's amazing that a disease that seemed so frightening, elusive, and incurable is possibly on the brink of being cured. I like this kind of news.

5 comments:

Steve D said...

I still don't know what to think about the whole HIV/AIDS thing. oikos.org has a big section on it. I am increasingly coming to the opinion that most people are quite severely immunosuppressed, and perhaps have been for quite a long period of human history ...

Steve D said...

Tangientially related .. you might get a kick out of Darwin's Radio, if you haven't already read it. It led me to ponder the idea that some (or perhaps all) viruses are really vectors for exchange of genetic novelty (like plasmids in bacteria), and that pathogenesis is merely an unintended side effect, often caused by immuno-deficiency in the host ..

Becky said...

I wouldn't have thought of anything that a virus does as "intentional", but it's interesting to think they might be a means of change. I don't know enough about microbiology to evaluate that idea very well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.