eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Monday, August 15

News - Gaza

Gaza Settlers Confront Soldiers
I was puzzling over what to think of the predicament of the settlers. It's probably a mistake on the part of Isreal to withdraw. It could seem like an act of good will that could lead to eased tensions and improved relations. I'm doubtful, though, seeingt the reaction from some Palistinians:

In Gaza City, the Islamic terrorist group Hamas (search) hung banners proclaiming the pullout is a result of attacks by militants on Israelis. "The blood of martyrs has led to liberation," one banner said.

Terrorists could see this as evidence of the effectiveness of their methods and feel encouraged to continue until they've eliminated all Isrealis from the area.
Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas said the Gaza pullout is a "historical moment," but that Israel must also hand over the West Bank and east Jerusalem in the future.
Indeed.

Dozens of observant Jewish men, wearing white prayer shawls, held morning prayers at the gate, appealing for divine intervention to block the withdrawal. Dozens of youths wearing orange, the color of defiance, sat on the streets. "Who dares to do battle with God," read one protester's T-shirt.
I found this disturbing as well. It's hardly the environment I'd want to live in.

2 comments:

MC said...

A breif synopsis of my feelings are on the matter has been posted at the following address:
http://mcfro.blogspot.com/2005/08/israel-withdraws-from-gaza.html

I believe that the Israeli withdrawl from Gaza will result in less terrorist attacks, but I do see a divided Jewish nation, one who believes their occupation of Gaza is just, and those who do not.

It will be interesting to see if the Israelt withdrawl results in more violence. If it does, it will be unfortunate.

Not unlike the cliche, one step forward, two steps back.

Becky said...

I've never really tried to predict things like this before, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that terrorist attacks will drop off for a bit and then resume unless Isreal gives up the West Bank. I don't think that will happen, and even if it did, I predict that there would still be terrorist attacks against Isreal. Apparently, Jews were getting attacked before the occupation anyways.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about this. It would be great if I were and peace could finally take hold there.