eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Monday, August 15

News - Japan

Japan PM Apologizes for World War II
I remember reading Hiroshima in high school and thinking there had to have been some better way to end the war. Since then, however, I've come to understand that the constraints of the situation didn't allow much room for alternatives. A land war would have resulted in even more deaths. I've wondered whether the second bomb was actually necessary. I guess we could have surrendered. I don't think I'd like to have lived in such a culture. I guess I'd be used to it. I've heard lots about how horrible America is for having dropped the bombs but not much from those same people about Japan's attack on America. The headline certainly surprised me.

I'm not sure what to think about the idea of reparations. I would think a majority of the people who were involved in WWII are dead. Is it really an obligation of their offspring and unrelated people to make up for their wrongs?

No comments: