eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Thursday, August 18

News - Over 100 Feared Drowned Off Colombia

Elian. The headline reminded me of the little boy and his fate.

At the time, I thought the boy should have a right to freedom here and that it should be extended to his father. If his father didn't have the sense (or ability because of possible penalties for his family because of his decision), then the boy should stay here anyway.

It doesn't seem so clear cut to me now. A society isn't really free if it forces its members, including children, to stay. I think him being re-acquainted with his father and being helped to make an informed choice would have been good. It would have been better if it had been worked out that he could come back to the US to visit and stay, if he wants, as an adult.

No comments: