eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Thursday, September 29

Decapitating Ants

The first species of phorid flies released here came from Brazil, just like the imported fire ants they are intended to keep in check. These parasites, which are much smaller than fruit flies, attack worker ants at disturbed mounds. There, they dart in to inject an egg into an ant’s body. The resulting larva moves into the host ant’s head, causing it to fall off in about 10 days.

I hadn't realized that the more annoying ants were actually imported. I'm a little wary of the idea of introducing another foreign insect into Austin, but maybe it'll be just the thing for cutting down the spread of those annoying ants. I found an interesting FAQ about them. What I want to know is where can I get some of those flies?

No comments: