eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Friday, September 30

Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA's) Part II

I've been doing a tiny bit more research. I found a nice listing of FPGA Boards and Systems.

I also found a nice site called fpga4fun.com. I found the bit on What Are FPGAs? to be just the right blend of information and conciseness that I needed to get started. I've managed to get through a bit of the tutorial on Structural Classification.

I'm not sure I understand it all, but learning about it reminded me of learning math. Sometimes it seems totally uncomprehensible at first, but after a day or two, I can come back to it and it makes more sense.

At the moment, I'm wondering what a CLB is. C-- Logic Block, I'm guessing. (C for Control?) I'll look it up in a bit.

I'm amazed at the difference in approaches of the two sites. They both seem informative, but somehow the 4fun site seems more, well, fun. I get the feeling I could go through it and do something with the information - find an actual FPGA and get it working. The Tutorial seems like it would help me understand how one works more thoroughly although I still wouldn't know how to select one or use it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check out my Programmable Logic Page for more FPGA stuff. I've got some information on low-cost boards that you might find interesting.