eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Friday, September 30

Scouts Part II

When I took my little guy to get his uniform and talked to him about Discipline and Duty, I didn't even flinch (much), bleeding heart though I am. Discipline's a good thing, dammit, even though its flipside is mind-numbing Repression. Learning a certain degree of Conformity to communitarian ideals has its virtues, even though none of the close synonyms -- Acquiescence, Submission, Compliance, Deference -- represent anything I want to give my boy. It's MINDLESS conformity and UNTHINKING devotion to Duty and FANATICAL Discipline -- those are the forms that bring the bile to my throat.

It's been a long time since I've posted to this blog or looked at it, but I'm fairly certain I didn't write this. I believe I found it, liked it, and meant to comment on it but didn't finish before I hit publish and now the article is gone or has been moved. Ah well, it's still an interesting quote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[quote]When I took my little guy to get his uniform and talked to him about Discipline and Duty, I didn't even flinch (much), bleeding heart though I am. Discipline's a good thing, dammit, even though its flipside is mind-numbing Repression. Learning a certain degree of Conformity to communitarian ideals has its virtues, even though none of the close synonyms -- Acquiescence, Submission, Compliance, Deference -- represent anything I want to give my boy. It's MINDLESS conformity and UNTHINKING devotion to Duty and FANATICAL Discipline -- those are the forms that bring the bile to my throat.[/quote]

Hmmmm....

ANY QUESTIONS???