eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Friday, October 28

Election - Proposition 2 and the rest

I got an email this morning reminding me to vote for Proposition 2:

"The constitutional amendment providing that marriage in this state consists only of the union of one man and one woman and prohibiting this state or a political subdivision of this state from creating or recognizing any legal status identical or similar to marriage."


I have been meaning to vote early against it, but I've been putting it off until I could read the other propositions and develop some sort of informed opinion about them. Sometimes I get out to vote and there are propositions that I'm pretty clueless about.

In the past, I've just done my best to muddle through reading them and vote. I think it might be better to just skip those. I think more people should consider skipping items they don't know much about. Of course, it would be better if more people informed themselves before voting, but at the least, it seems right to leave making those decisions to people who have more knowledge about them.

In the email, there was some additional stuff about the opposition planning to defraud the election by having people come in from out of state and register. I was skeptical, but I replied that I appreciated the reminder, intend to vote against it, am concerned that someone would attempt to defraud the election, and that although there are some unscrupulous people on both sides, hopefully the majority aren't like that. As it turns out, a little research quickly revealed that the fraud attempts were a rumor (according to representatives of both sides). Like I said, hopefully the majority of people aren't so unscrupulous. If only they'd be a bit more skeptical before passing along information...

No comments: