eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Saturday, December 31

Dehumanization

There is probably another term for this, but I don't feel like looking it up right now. I'm thinking of the ways people have of making those they disagree with seem irrational, purposely bad, of assigning the worst intentions they can think of to them. I think some people call it "demonizing". I think people can get caught up in it without intending to.

I'm often amazed by how quickly people can let go of it when face to face with a real person who they would have previously demonized. I'm also amazed at how some people can't seem to let go of it even when a decent person is staring them in the face.

What things can be done to prevent that tendency in oneself and others?

No comments: