eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Thursday, January 19

I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier Mamma


Well,
I don't wanna be a soldier mama,
I don' wanna die,


I'm currently listening to this groovy tune by John Lennon. It's very repetitive, the lyrics are simple, but it's a funky bluesy type song that I can't help wanting to move around to. I love dancing although I don't usually do it around other people.

This song has been stuck in my head for the last few days. I've mentioned this on my Livejournal before, but the best way I've found to "cure" that problem is to listen to the song several times in a row. I think digging up the lyrics and getting to know the song pretty well helps too.

I think it's particularly timely after my visit to the Lexington this weekend. I'll try to write more about it soon before I forget it all. It was weird hearing the presenters talk about "missions" and realizing that the mission really meant dropping bombs and killing people purposely.

I found it a bit hard to stomach really. I am not anti-war, but I neither am I very enthusiastic about it. Still, I loved being on board. I was amazed at all the comforts available on board such an old ship - and of course by all the knobs, switches, and buttons. It meant a lot to me to stand on the runway on top and look out at the sea.

I think what I like about weapons and ships and machinery is the logic, the beauty of design, and the power - the power to change the destiny of mankind. I know, it probably sounds cheesy, but there it is.

Back to the song. I've tried to imagine what I'd do if my son intended to be a soldier. My first thought was to take him as far away from any such temptation as possible. Next I thought of telling him all about the horrors of war. What if I did my best to discourage him from it and made all the best anti-war arguments or at least the best arguments for not being one of the ones who offers his life for some "greater good".

What if he wanted to do it anyways? What if the worst happened? I'd live, I guess. I'd encourage him to make damn sure he was certain it was the best thing he could do with his life. I know there are people who seem to thrive off doing very dangerous things and seem happiest when doing such things. Is that sane??

I wondered if I'd go in his place. I read in some spam mail that there are some grannies offering to do just that - go to war so their grandsons can come home and live. Of course, I don't think they don't mean it. Besides, a young healthy person probably has more chance of coming back alive, but they also have more "potential years" to lose.

What if they did it though? Would you die for your grandson? Would you risk it? Would I?


Well,
I don't wanna be a sailer mama,
I don't wanna fly,

Well,
I don't wanna be a faliure mama,
I don't wanna cry,

Well,
I don't wanna be a soldier mama,
I don't wanna die,

Oh no,
Oh no,
Oh no,
Oh no,

Well,
I don't wanna be a rich man mama,
I don't wanna cry,

Well,
I don't wanna be a poor man mama,
I don't wanna fly,

Well,
I don't wanna be lawyer mama,
I don't wanna lie,

Well,
I don't wanna be a soldier mama,
I don' wanna die,

Oh no,
Oh no,
Oh no,
Oh no,
Oh no,
Oh no,

Well,
I don't wanna be a beggar mama,
I don't wanna die,

Well,
I don't wanna be a thief now mama,
I don't wanna fly,

Well,
I don't wanna be a church man mama,
I don't wanna cry,

Well,
I don't wanna be a soldier mama,
I don't wanna die,

Oh no,
Oh no,
Oh no,
Oh no

1 comment:

Leo said...

Funny you talk about this, it's something I have in my mind often, my child wanting to be a soldier. It's a terrifying thought.

I am not sure if I would be right to discourage him, but I would tell him how I felt about it. I would make sure he was well informed and that he knew exactly what he was doing. Perhaps I'll even find him some veterans to meet.

If my child really deciced to be a soldier I would tell him he had an obligation not only not to hurt but to help innocent people.

If my child died in war I cannot predict how I would react, but I guess the right thing would be honoring him as a proper hero and not make him a victim.

Though issue. :(
*goes look for the song*