eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Tuesday, February 28

Kinky Friedman for Governor

With a name like that, how could I NOT vote for him?

Seriously, though, I don't even know what I'd want the ideal candidate to believe, so it seems a bit irresponsible on my part to vote at all.

Kinky says pretty clearly what his "issues" are - more money to schools, toward health insurance for poor children, and toward "renewable energy". He also wants to de-emphasize TAKS tests. He doesn't say where the money is to come from or what should be done to make education better or less worse. He doesn't make any argument for why people should think the way he does about the issues. I guess that's someone else's job.

The whole structure of schools seems bad to me. The idea that kids of the same age will necessarily be ready to learn the same things at the same times just seems ridiculous. It's hard to care about specific policies like TAKS when it all seems so messed up. With the bizarre way things are run, I guess I can see where TAKS might have been a serious attempt to help those in the poorest schools. I know that some people think that "money" is what is needed, but that isn't everything. There have been some fantastic teachers who have done well in poorer districts - it had a lot more to do with their attitudes than with how rich their school district was. I guess in the absence of such attitudes, money is the next best thing. Except, it's a poor 2nd place.

For an example of what I mean, check out Marva Collins. Her methods seem rather heavy handed - and yet they have made a huge (positive) difference in the lives of children. Such methods might not be appropriate for every child, but I wonder if they're the only hope for some children.

No comments: