eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Wednesday, February 1

Would the Real First Amendment please stand up?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It was very recently brought to my attention that the First Amendment, by it's own wording, doesn't restrict local school districts, governments, or state government from establishing or prohibing religion, prohibiting free speech, etc.

I remember being taught in one class that the original constitution was generally meant to set the structure and establish limits on the Federal government, but it didn't occur to me - or the teacher as far as I could tell - to apply this to the First Amendment.

Why is it, then, that I have this impression that the First Amendment has been used by the Supreme Court to restrict prayer in schools?

No comments: