eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Monday, May 1

Immigration problems

Recently there has been a lot of discussion about the immigration issue. It's something that has come to affect me very personally in the last few years. I've had a hard time understanding why the laws are so strict.

Morally, it seems wrong to keep people from taking the opportunity to have a better life.

I can see how having large numbers of "poor" people move in at once could really put a strain on our resources and generaly affect the quality of life for current Americans. I don't especially want my way of life to suddenly shift for the worse. It's worth doing, though, if it really improves the quality of life for a lot of other people. In the long run, I think we'd all be better off for it.

The thing I hadn't thought of much before, though, was the consequences of having a large group of people with a similar background come in. Their practices and beliefs may change things in ways that recreate the same problems they are trying to escape.

As the article referened above discusses, there's also the issue of large numbers of poor immigrants developing the view that the wealthier people are oppressing them. Actually, I'm guessing it's their children who grow up seeing the disparities and see them as signs of oppression. originally written April 18, 2006

No comments: