eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Thursday, November 23

The Second Commandment

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

What's a graven image? An idol. At least, that's what the dictionary says.

I don't understand the idea of not making likenesses of things in heaven, below the earth, or in the water under the earth. I was assuming this meant the oceans? Does this mean no statues of whales but dogs are ok? What is meant by "under" the earth? Is that different from oceans?

Then it goes on some more about not worshiping or bowing to "graven images" or "likenesses".

Doesn't being a "jealous" god imply something to be jealous of? Does that mean god is here admitting the existence of other gods and wants us to be monotheistic?

No comments: