eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Friday, December 29

Leaving on a Jet Plane - Fun to Sing

I've had this song stuck in my head lately. It's the first song I'm learning on my new guitar. It's even invading my dreams. I dream about going on plane trips, forgetting to buy the plane tickets, the plane getting delayed, etc.

I found a nice little clip of John Denver singing it on You Tube. I always thought it was a bit of a boring song, but I would find myself singing along just the same.

Some songs are just more fun to sing than to hear.

A lot of popular pop songs seem to be written with this understanding. If you look at the lyrics, there may be one or two unique verses and the rest is the same verse over and over. Who cares to hear the same verse 3 to 5 times? No one. The point isn't to listen to the whole song. You might listen to the unique parts and the first chorus. By the third verse you're singing along. Once you start singing, you're having fun and don't necessarily want to stop, so the singer obliges you by repeating it a few more times. At least, that's my experience.

Of course, there are songs that don't follow this trend. One of my favorite bands to have more "unique" lyrics is Rush. After a while, though, I tend to get tired of listening and Rush really isn't easy to sing along with. One exception is The Trees. It makes for a lovely lullaby (Ok, so it's a bit scary at the end to sing to a baby, but then so is "Rock-a-bye baby").

No comments: