eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Wednesday, September 12

New Year's Resolution - Guitar

I did it. I dusted off my guitar and learned a few chords. Actually, I've tried to learn a few chords before, but this is the first time I've picked it up and remembered one from the last time I attempted to get in the habit of practicing.

I don't know why it's so hard to get started. Once I start playing around, I love it. Even though I suck at it. I know it took me a little while to get the hang of changing notes when I learned flute, but this seems far more complicated, requiring much more fine motor control. It takes me forever to get my fingers to let go of the strings, rearrange themselves, then hold down the strings in different positions. It hurts too. And I can't hold down two strings with one finger. At least not yet. But still, I love the way it sounds when I get a chord right and strum it. I love the way it sounds when I've changed chords and strum. I think I might even remember 4 whole chords - G, A, D, and E minor. I'm working on Emin7 and Amin. That's enough to cover most of several songs I'd like to be able to sing. Woohoo! It's a start!

My question is, if there are any guitarists out there, how long does it take to get to where you can actually play 2 chords in a row without having to consciously stop and rearrange your fingers every time? Is there a practice technique to speed this up? Time to do some research...

No comments: