eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Friday, September 14

PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

Having run out of ideas about what to write, I decided to try a random website for inspiration.

I was really hoping for something a bit juicier than this, but then again, I've been doing a bit of dabbling with a website and wondering what PHP meant and whether it was something I should know.

I have some questions about it and, not surprisingly, the site answers those right off:

What is it?
PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language. Much of its syntax is borrowed from C, Java and Perl with a couple of unique PHP-specific features thrown in. The goal of the language is to allow web developers to write dynamically generated pages quickly.

Perfect! I learned see way back in the day. I'm very rusty, but it's nice to know I'll find it vaguely familiar.

Why is it called PHP?
It stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. It's recursive. I love recursion. Also, it'd be inconvenient to call it HP. Too many other things called HP. My favorite calculator used to be an HP 15C. Reverse Polish Notation. It took a little getting used to at first, but I loved it for long calculations in high school.

Ok, one of the first things on the site is a link to a tutorial. I think "great, I'll get to see what it is." Nope. First it shows me how to install it on a server. Like I know how to admin a server! NOT. Well, not yet anyway. I think I have access to a server with PHP but it's not on a site that I would want to "play" with.

I'll have to see if my personal site has access. Then maybe I can get a few little pages written..

No comments: