eXTReMe Tracker WARNING: The opinions expressed and linked to in this blog are not necessarily mine (anymore).

My ideas are constantly changing as I learn. Sometimes they even change midway through writing a post.

Thursday, January 24

War declared on Scientology

I'm curious to see how this plays out. I'd like to see this sort of energy put into legal and legitimate ways of opposing and undermining cults (and some religions as well).

Hello, Scientology. We are Anonymous.

Over the years, we have been watching you. Your campaigns of misinformation; suppression of dissent; your litigious nature, all of these things have caught our eye. With the leakage of your latest propaganda video into mainstream circulation, the extent of your malign influence over those who trust you, who call you leader, has been made clear to us. Anonymous has therefore decided that your organization should be destroyed.


I did a little more reading about Scientology after seeing a bit in Slashdot about how the Church threatened a lawsuit over a comment copyrighted by Scientology. Apparently, the church has done some pretty nasty stuff - including stealing government documents and harassing and even attempting to frame people who commented negatively about the Church. They were investigated and in some cases convicted of these crimes. I can see why they might be considered dangerous.

I could also see the "War" being something set up by Scientologists. I don't know to what purpose, but then I don't always get the purpose of a particular cult. Some folks think the purpose of this one is money.

I'd been ignoring the video about Tom Cruise. Seeing a cult member going on about their cult isn't new or terribly interesting to me. I mean, just last week, someone came up to me telling me about *insert deity from other modern religion*. However, the attempts by the Church of Scientology to remove it caught my interest enough that I endured watching it... More weird stuff.

Another weird thing I happened upon was an account of a woman who was admitted to a hospital, half-starved, dehydrated, sleep-deprived an psychotic. Scientologists showed up at the hospital saying she didn't believe in psychiatrics and took her to a hotel to rest. She died shortly after. After an 8 year battle, her family finally settled out of court after trying to sue for wrongful death.

And here I thought they were just some wackos who tried to get you to take IQ tests across the street from the University.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scientology was invented to make money out of gullible people.

Anonymous said...

http://www.lisamcpherson.org
That is the memorial page to this 36 year old woman killed by scientologists. It's nightmarish & seems like horror movie material but it happened